5 Sneaky Tips To Eat Healthier (Without Giving Up Meat & Chips!)
Eating healthy is dreaded by a lot of people especially the meat lovers and potato junkies. I don’t have a problem with meat as I am not really a fan but when it comes to chips, I’ll wrestle for the last piece! Most people who try to eat healthier fail because they can’t just give up their favorite foods. Well, you don’t really have to! Eating healthy brings a lot of good things for your overall well-being but that doesn’t mean you can’t sneak in a piece of steak or a handful of chips in it. You’ll be able to stick to your diet much longer than when you give up everything at once. Here are my five sneaky tips on how to eat healthier:
1. We’ve all heard about people going on really low carbs diet and while it is healthier to skip pasta or bread, you don’t have to punish yourself if it’s what you really want. Go for the healthier option and substitute it! I like using whole wheat pasta and if you can’t give up the cheese, parmesan is the way to go. Want some bread with peanut butter? Buy wholemeal bread slices and use almond butter. Rice is a great struggle for most people in Asia (I know!) that’s why I always keep a jar of black rice, I even make sushi with it! These are fiber-rich alternatives for the hi-carb whites and even though the taste is not entirely the same, your tastes buds will eventually get used to it!
2. Snacking healthy is another thing I’m having too much struggle with! They always tell me to eat fruits but the problem with having too much of it is it spikes up your blood sugar, a big no-no for me. I love nuts and while it’s good fats, too much of a good thing is still bad (Youch!). What I do when I crave for something sweet like Ice Cream, I’m gonna go for a chilled yogurt instead. If you want to grab those chips, put some in a bowl and another bowl for peanuts or sweet potato fries. Instead of eating a whole bag of chips, you can do a half of chips and half nuts, before you go for the full swap!
3. Portion control is important here that’s why I always repack my snack to smaller bags so I won’t be tempted to eat the whole thing hahaha! When you watch a movie and you place a lot of chips in front of you, you’ll surely finish all of it without even knowing. I love to munch on Cheetos while watching my fave tv show or a movie and eating the whole bag is so easy to finish. Always add some healthy options to your snacks or meals and learn to practice to not snack out of the bag!
4. I love making sandwiches! I had my first sandwich with turkey slices a few months ago and I love it! There’s really no need to skip the meat when making burgers or sandwiches, just add more veggies to it and you’ll likely stick to having a healthier lifestyle in the future. Double your veggies not just for sandwiches, but for all your meals! Craving for steak? Eat a salad first before you chug it down. I always say to everyone I know that you don’t have to eat less, you just have to eat healthy!
5. Last but not the least, drink a lot of water! When I say a lot, I really mean a lot! (Except ofcourse for those who are on a strict fluid intake). Water has a lot of benefits and I always try to drink more than 3 Liters a day. It may sound much but it isn’t really because our body needs much to function well. There’s a lot of people I know that can’t drink water because they aren’t used to drinking a lot or they just forget when they’re too busy in the office. The trick is to carry a bottle with you anywhere you go! Buy two water bottles and leave one in the workplace and one at home. It’s easy to reach and you don’t have a choice but to drink it! Haha